Sunday, March 24, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons...

 
What you do today is important,
because you are trading a day of your life for it.
 
Thus, it is important to try and always respond well to whatever
happens to you.
 
I constantly have to remind myself that there are going to be many times that people are mean or hurtful in my life (it never stops!), but how I react makes all of the difference.
 
Just because someone is being a jerk doesn't mean you should let them "take away your sparkle."
 
That's what they want, isn't it?
 
Most of the time when people say or do unkind things to you it is on purpose.
 
Don't give them the benefit of watching you suffer.
 
And sometimes people are just dumb.
 
For instance, while doing door-to-door fundraising for 30 Hour Famine,I was shocked by one of the responses I got (Now, I am okay with people not giving money. But, they can be nice about it when they say no. I don't need a lecture about how we shouldn't help other countries!).
 
After telling a man about how we go without food for 30 hours as apart of raising money for starving children, he asked me, in a not so nice way, if that was why I am "sooooo skinny."
 
Pretty much, he said it in a way to make fun of me and the fact that I was helping out starving children from countries other than America.
 
Even though I am not insecure about my body at all and that wasn't the worst thing he could have said, it ticked me off. 
 
What was going through my head?
 
Well, it was something like "look, buddy, this is called being fit. ...unlike what you've got going for you. Maybe you should go without food for a while."
 
But, of course, I did not say that.
 
I just smiled and listened to him preach to me about not supporting anyone but America.
 
The fact is, his stinky remarks don't REALLY matter.
 
Why should I give him the satisfaction of showing my irritation?
 
Keeping my cool, which shows I am much more mature than he is, was the best way to respond.
 
Anyways, I just want to encourage you all to enjoy your day and not worry about what others say or do to you.
 
How you react, in the end, effects you the most.
 
Wear your smile, spread your love, and don't let anyone hide you sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment